Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Today I joined with several other people from my Light & Power Sunday school class to meet with another class from Azusa Pacific University and it was very interesting for me (a Brain Injured man found something interesting?). In fact I actually emailed several people about it.

Do I think that I was right?

Yes I do.

Will it do any good?

I hope so but I don’t know. It’s too early to say.

But this is what the email said:
---
I spent some time today with Nancy's class and some things came to me that I wanted to relate to you:

1) People aren't used to dealing with handicapped people. They have been raised from birth by non handicapped people and they have been taught to NOT BE THAT WAY. So it becomes an issue of evaluation NOT handicap.

2) Disabled people are normal people, they just can't do things the usual way. Disabled just becomes a negative part of the evaluation.

3) It's no wonder that we feel accepted and are happy to be with each other.

4) Nothing has changed we just accept each other. Imagine if everyone was like this. If rating, rewards & evaluations were this way we would be more like Christ!

---

Now that I’m one of them it has become so obvious! We’re not disabled we’re just different abled and we should not be treated as “less” than others! Because we’re not.

I have been very blessed to see “the other side” of this fence and it’s a very good place to be!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a great perspective to have, Toby. I hope people can start to see things differently because of your experience. I am learning from it -

Lisa