Thursday, June 17, 2010

When I moved back from Orange county and into this apartment I brought a woman, a man and a baby with me and gave them free rent. The man ended up in jail, the woman has moved out and the baby is gone. I’m fine with everything but I do miss the baby girl the most. Leah was her name and it was always clear to me that she was here for a reason.

As parents when we have children (I’m a parent and have 3 boys who are all adults now but they will always be my children), nothing absolutely nothing that they do is considered wrong. We love them, they love us and while some things may not meet our expectations for others, they don’t know any different so we don’t care.

Now Jesus said:
Matt 18:2-5

2 He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5 "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.
NIV

But what was He talking about? Do we have to get younger?

No. But He did say change. What does that mean? Well change refers to becoming something that is different from what you are.

He also said humbles. And that means submitting to something that you are not in control of.

A child knows that they don’t make the rules, but they know there are rules and they’re not perfect but they are willing to be humble to their parent. And we HAVE TO BE THE SAME.

However, that is all forgotten by people when they’re dealing with an older handicapped person. People just consider the person’s age not their handicap and expect them to be like the standard: all other adults.

So there are a lot of handicapped adults who are trying very hard to behave certain ways so that they will be accepted by others.

When have you seen a child do something so that they will be accepted? My point is that we must become like children and just accept people because they exist and quit comparing them because the kingdom of Heaven was created for people like this.

No comments: