Friday, July 30, 2010

There is a term or name out that covers me and I don’t like it. It is “disability” and in essence it means “a lack of ability”.

To be honest every person has some lack of ability. Some can do things and some cannot and mostly that doesn’t matter, like glasses. Some can see without them and some cannot but we don’t call those who can’t “disabled”.

As a person who can’t walk, I look at everything to determine if I can or cannot do it. Sometimes I know that I cannot so I don’t and sometimes I try and fail like everyone does. But sometimes I try and succeed like everyone does.

So am I disabled? Not by my standards.

Is anyone disabled? I don’t think so. It’s just like everything else: some can do things and some cannot but everyone can get things done.

Disability also puts people into another and much lower class so disabled people feel like they’re less than everyone else. I am not making this up cuz I experience it all of the time.

I have been called disabled but I write books, balance my bank account, read my mail, pay my bills, live in an apartment, use a computer and take care of my self, so am I disabled? I don’t think so. Yes, there are some things that I cannot do but I have taken care of that.

But there are others that can’t do what I can’t do so what do we do with them? First of all DO NOT LABLE THEM just love them and if you can then help them. They’re no less than you are and do not need a negative label to point it out.

God called each of us to live together and love each other but negative labeling sets people apart from each other and that’s not what God has called us to do.

So I’m hoping that you have read this and learned something that will help your neighbor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder to think of everyone as our brothers and sisters and not to distance ourselves from them because they are different!