Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sometimes I do stupid things…

I don’t mean to…I think that things are just fine, but I tend to sometimes forget that there are risks.

One time in Occupational Therapy this woman had me actually standing up alone and playing a game at a table and she was clear across the table from me. Now that wasn’t safe, but at that time I didn’t know.

Well, the next second I found myself laying on a mat with a pillow and a rag under my head and they had called an ambulance.

I had no idea of what had happened, but obviously something had. As I am told, I was standing up and all of the sudden I fell down and hit my head on something so it bleeding and that is why they had called an ambulance.

I ended up having to get 3 staples in my head. And I never had any pain. Obviously it wasn’t a safe situation for me to be standing alone and playing a game, but hindsight didn’t allow me not to get the staples in my head.

So I should have known that I was not to be trusted, but no, no, no! I’m a proud 50 year old man! And last night (because I had figured out how to do it) I took a shower without telling my roommate. This was and is a problem for me because sure I had figured out how to do it but that doesn’t mean that I can and will do it!

I could have fallen or worse and no one would have known! I have got to think out the possible risks and start asking for someone’s help in prescience or assistance! But that’s hard for me to do because although I live this life in a wheelchair, I don’t realize that I am crippled or handicapped.

If something needs to happen, I just figure out how to do it and then do it! I’ve got to stop that and think about and plan for the risks. I’m not in a facility anymore! This is an apartment, and if I want to keep living then I’m going to have to start telling others what I am doing!

I have probably never done that, so this is new, necessary but new. And it’s not going to be easy, but I have to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't get discouraged everybody does stupid things