Monday, August 18, 2008

My Family Is Handicapped

Very few humans can say that their entire family is handicapped, but I can.

Starting with myself, I have a Traumatic Brain Injury and, as a result, there are many other problems. My wife has Bipolar disorder. My oldest son Steven is Developmentally Delayed and suffers from ADHD. My middle son, TJ has emotional disorders. And, my youngest son, Danny, is Educably Mentally Retarded, Emotionally Disabled, and Dyslexic as well as Bi-Polar and Brain Injured.

So there you have it! No one in my family is without a handicap! So you must be wondering: “How do he and his wife feel about all of this?” Well, it could be different, but it’s NOT. This is where God has us, so we’re happy to be here and ready and willing to help them to do all that they need to survive on this earth.

Like what? Well the first thing that I am going to do is get an apartment with my eldest son. By doing that I will be able to teach him:

1. Time Management
2. Budgeting
3. Personal Financial Planning
4. Grocery List Making
5. Grocery Shopping
6. Communication

I see this as a wonderful time for both of us because I cannot walk but I do think well and he can walk just fine but he doesn’t easily think well. So together we’re a very good team! And Jesus leads both of us, so there’s no question that this is good. Plus there are many things that we can do for each other! It’s easily a win-win situation for both of us!

I became handicapped about 7 years ago and everyone in my family (except my middle son) including my wife (who has done an absolutely incredible job of running everything!) has been right beside me. Now that I am finally better (still handicapped, but better), it’s time for me to join my wife and do my duty as one of the parents of our children (now I didn’t say “perfect kids” but these are the kids that God gave us, and we love them!).

So, what will we do with the other children? Well, only God knows, but when it’s time, He’ll let us know and we’ll do it.

No comments: