Monday, August 18, 2008

I would like to know what NACSPED’s response to and responsibility is for the following.

In my entire family (and I mean the whole group of people), every last person has a disability. They are all adults too. My 57 year old wife is bi-polar. My 37 year old step son is developmentally delayed and battles with severe ADHD. My 32 year old natural son has severe emotional disabilities that have plagued the way he lives. My 22 year old adopted baby son is Educably Mentally Retarded, bi-polar and has a brain injury, then there’s me, I have a traumatic brain injury, I can’t walk, etc.

In today’s society we must all depend on something to get by because we cannot accomplish things ourselves! Federal programs provide some money, but nothing else…thus the burdens fall on families or friends. And that’s all. These people HAVE GOT TO LEARN HOW TO NAVIGATE LIFE! Navigation is all they can possibly use.

Aren’t we Christians? Well, surprise surprise, it’s OUR responsibility to care for these people—they’re one of us! I see people who are like this EVERY SUNDAY MORNING in my Light & Power Sunday school class. WE ARE WELCOME THERE! AND WE LIKE EACH OTHER. There are many adults who can help that do help. And that’s great, but what about Sunday mornings prior to class? Are any handicapped people involved in anything? Nope.

And why not? Are we (as a Church) just trying to maintain a status quo or some other standard that has been set by our human organizations? Is it somehow ok for us to finish a service without teaching these people anything? I don’t think so. Jesus didn’t teach us to behave that way.

As Christians, we have some growth to accomplish.

Imagine, if you will, what my reaction (as a Christian and a leader in my family) would be to all of this.

No comments: